воскресенье, 4 мая 2014 г.

Five favourite things since my childhood: TRAVELLING (part one)


  1. TRAVELLING.
What do you imagine when you hear the word “travelling”? I see an earth road or a narrow path winding among the grass. I understand that nowadays it’s impossible to travel without using cars, trains and asphalt roads. But for me the most interesting part of a journey starts when I reach some remote places almost unspoiled by civilization. This is the world which mankind is losing now and we’ll lose it forever if we don’t stop our reckless expansion. 
 
I began to love the world of wild nature in my early childhood. The wide open space of steppe with bitter-sweet scent of thick grass in the air – it was the place where my parents started to build our house. And, in spite of all my love for woods and mountains, steppe is the place where I always feel most comfortable as if I belong to it. But can it explain my real obsession with travelling? Walking tours in summertime and cycling to the fields in spring – these were my favourite activities. And they still are, actually – only I can’t afford to walk with a heavy backpack as I used to. 
 

When I was in my thirties, my husband, our two children and I spent 7 or 10 days every summer camping near the sea. I loved everything about those holidays. There was something fascinating in the smell of burning wood and the sight of orange flames licking the black cauldron with bubbling porridge in it. And what a pleasure it was swimming in the sea water which was clean and transparent and lying on the white sand, silky and smooth –it was so different from our city beaches. And in the evening we loved sitting near the camp-fire singing or watching the shooting stars in the sky. And swimming at night when we could observe this wonderful phenomenon – bioluminescence. The tiny sea creatures flashed out in the dark water when we disturbed them with our movements, and twisting glowing lines or solitary stars were running from our arms and legs.

Usually, standing near the edge of the sea in the dark and not knowing what miracle was hiding in its depth, you would think that rare flashes of bluish light were just reflection of moonlight. But once the sea luminescence was so strong that even the opposite cliffs were dimly lit. Long, gently-sloping waves were running along the sea surface and every wave was topped with vaguely glowing bluish foam. Our tent was made of white thin parachute fabric. So the foam and the full moon were clearly seen through its walls. I remember our tent full of light and our friend Anya, the owner of the tent, joking: “Switch the moon and the sea off - I can’t fall asleep”.


Of course we could stay near the village where we usually bought milk and potatoes and took straw in the golden field to warm our tent floor. But it would be slightly boring to have the same peaceful impressions every year. So, during the first half of our holiday, we had a real struggle walking with heavy backpacks along the narrow strip of land between the sea shore and three salt lakes. This land was entirely covered with sand. At some distance from the sea, where even the powerful waves of winter storms could hardly ever reach, there were dunes overgrown with grass. Its sharp blades were webbed by spiders of different sizes and colours, but mostly they were sand-coloured of course. I was afraid of spiders and when we had to go to the dunes I always reminded my family to arm themselves with sticks to tear the cobweb sticky threads.


Every morning we woke up before dawn and began to pack our things, shivering under the chilly wind with our eyes squinting at the dark uninviting sea. Even now I can clearly see our little squad walking in single file along the very edge of the water and the lazy waves licking the sand and our bare feet. It was the place where the sand seemed almost solid – we only slightly sank into it. From time to time however we couldn’t find this compact path and our progress forward turned into really hard work. It took much more time to cross these soft patches or places covered with heaps of sharp mussels. And another obstacle was day time heat, when we were hiding in the shadow of our tent, though I never gave up cooking our lunch, sitting near the fire in the midst of the hot blazing sand.

Sometimes, when my husband woke us up at the crack of dawn, playing his flute as the sea looked dark-blue and chilly or struggling with soft sand as the backpack straps, especially painfully, hurt my shoulders, I thought it would be much more comfortable just to stay near the village. Nevertheless, every summer we repeated the same route.

To be continued...

1. THE SNOW
2. THE NEW-YEAR CELEBRATION
3. THE ICE-CREAM
4. DRESSES  

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий